Monday 5 April 2010

Citrus Wrap, Spring and Baa-Lambs.....

It's Springtime...
Its my favourite time of year....
As usual, there's lots happening...

I'm absorbed in this whole felting thing,  I'm planning on doing some pieces for the site eventually, but as we are now coming into spring and summer (hopefully!!!) I think I've got a bit of time on this.
Shown is a wrap sized piece made from Merino wools and silk in citrus colours - no, not that picture below, those are daffodils.






I've
found the wool from various sheep breeds is very different - I like using Merino which is what much

of our favourite knitwear is made from (and now I can see why) because its soft, it felts down beautifully and gives consistent results - Blue Faced Leicester is my next favourite as it has similar properties but is a bit fluffier, and the mad one is Falkland wool which produces thick, bouncy pieces - it seems to have more 'body' to it if that makes sense.
Anyway, I've been buying tons of wool (much to Mark's and the Postie's joint despair) - the most exciting thing about the whole process is blending colours - I'm used to doing that with jewellery, but this is on a much bigger scale and it's wonderful to see huge dramatic, beautiful swathes of colour laid out all together - its a more labour intensive process than making jewellery, and I haven't really discovered any shortcuts, though I've discovered lots of ways to make mistakes!!
I'm focussed on wet felting, I confess I drool thinking of colour combinations, and its exciting learning a new creative avenue, the possibilities are huge.
I've got a site revision in the works (next few days, fingers crossed), we're working on a new website for some fantastic new jewellery which has recently arrived, AND I'm giving a lot of thought to changing the name of the site as well as a general overhaul - the last one was about 2 years ago and it might be time for a change of background colour and logo etc., but that's a big decision so that will take some time.   I'm also off on a trip to Venice shortly (its a hard, tough, dirty job but someone's got to do it...) to see my suppliers - its been ages since I visited and I'm much looking forward to it, and yes, I'll pack my wellies....

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear what you think! Please leave a comment x