Thursday 21 January 2010

My Superstitions....

I don't consider myself superstitious, but I was working today and I got to thinking about the habits I have when I'm creating and now realise that perhaps I've been fooling myself all along....

I never ever swear when I am making jewellery (no, not even at customers!!!) because I am always conscious of only putting good energy into a piece - who wants a piece that's started off with someone cursing and swearing round it?    I confess to swearing quite a lot when I drive, usually at other motorists.

If I accidentally jab myself with a piece of wire or a tool and get a cut, I start the piece all over again - its not good karma to bleed on someone else's jewellery.

If a bead lands on the floor whilst I am making a piece, I won't use it in that piece - I call that bead karma, if it doesn't want to
be in, then there's a reason for it.  (It also means that my carpet is the most valuable part of the house....)

I never listen to music whilst I am making jewellery because I think the person who wears it needs to find their own rhythm and not mine (more to the point, it seems to frazzle my brain whilst I am concentrating....)

If I should be pestered into taking a phone call because Mark hasn't answered it (and after all, what are husbands for anyway?), I stop work completely because the energy isn't the same - I also do this if someone comes up into the studio (its incredibly rare that anyone does, because they know better) - and the same goes if I am disturbed by neighbours playing loud music during the summer if I have my windows open - somehow having to focus on another human being just stops me in my tracks.

I always start work by cleaning the studio.   Firstly because if I didn't, I'd never ever find the chair at the desk, let alone the desk, and secondly because I always find stuff I bought years ago and forgot about and that often starts me off but mostly because it gives me a focus and brings me into the work space in an ordered way....

When all else fails, I have my 'Holdy Stone' to get me out of creative blanks.  It usually doesn't work, but its reassuring to have something in my hand to throw at unwanted visitors....

1 comment:

  1. I wish I was an artist... I am creative in a few ways, like quilting, but I wish I could picture something in my mind and create it in 3D. Alas...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think! Please leave a comment x