Thursday 2 August 2007

Spending time with Merlin


I have been bursting with ideas, annoyed I've been unable to achieve much due to my arthritis - I felt I might be heading for a rough patch after my trip away and, despite a steroid injection, I am having another flare up.

I've had various commissions including tiaras and wedding jewellery, and made some new pieces using copper and warm, soft, colourful combinations of glass, gems and pearls - I did a whole slew of new items in this lovely metal and then started to play with crochet and some fluffy fibres.



At times like this it is important to keep doing something, so I have spent time with Merlin, am in the process cleaning my studio (which really needs it), making plans to send out an e-mail to everyone on the
mailing list and been visiting local art galleries. I particularly enjoyed a visit last week to the Manchester Art and Design Centre in the city centre, in a light-filled old building which was once part of the old markets area . About 30 designers create and work from there, and I had a lovely day wandering around, chatting with them and looking at the beautiful things that human creativity can produce - painters, textile artists, ceramicists, jewellery makers, and currently an exhibition of multi media work made from paper; it had been a long time since I had visited this area of Manchester, and although I was aware this community of artists were there, I was pleased to see it flourishing.